Head of Publishing and Academic relations
University of California, Berkeley, Department of Environmental Science, Policy, and Management
Postdoctoral Research Associate, Grand Challenges Fellow
Princeton University, Department of Ecology & Evolutionary Biology
Ph.D., Environmental Science, Policy, and Management
University of California, Berkeley
Advisor: Wayne Getz
Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine
B.S. with Honors, Zoology
University of Wisconsin, Madison
Honors and Grants
- NIH Ecology of Infectious Disease Grant Awarded to Wayne Getz and Rauri Bowie (2016), Contributing Author
- Princeton Grand Challenges Fellowship (2013-2015)
- Phi Beta Kappa Fellowship (2013)
- Julius H. Freitag Memorial Award (2012)
- Johannes Joos Memorial Award (2011)
- UC Berkeley Graduate Division Summer Grants (2010, 2011)
- Bob Lane Graduate Student Support Fund for Disease Ecology (2010)
- Carolyn Meek Memorial Scholarship in Environmental Science (2010)
- Andrew and Mary Thompson Rocca Scholarship in Advanced African Studies (2008)
- NIH Ecology of Infectious Diseases Grant Awarded to Wayne Getz (2008-2010), Contributing Author
- Andrew and Mary Thompson Rocca Summer Pre-Dissertation Research Award on African Studies (2006)
- Blackwell Publishing Valued Reviewer Award (2006)
- Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine Comparative Anatomy Award (2003)
- UW Madison College of Letters and Science Dean's Prize (1998)
- UW Madison College of Letters and Science Honors Thesis Research Grant (1997)
- Anna K. Birge Zoology Scholarship (1997)
Working Groups and Partnerships
Parasite Ecology Research Project
Multi-institution research collaboration investigating the impact of climate change on parasite biodiversity and parasite vulnerability to extinction. Institutions represented: University of California, Berkeley; Princeton University; University of Connecticut; the Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History; University of Zürich.
Migratory birds as parasite vectors along the Palearctic-African flyway
Collaborator on a project investigating the pathogen transmission dynamics and host-parasite interactions of migratory birds between Africa and Europe through an Israeli spatial bottleneck. Institutions represented: University of California, Berkeley; The Hebrew University of Jerusalem; U.S. Geological Survey Northern Rocky Mountain Science Center.
University of California, Berkeley-Etosha Anthrax Project
Multi-institution research collaboration investigating the ecology of anthrax in Etosha National Park, Namibia. Institutions represented: University of California, Berkeley; Etosha Ecological Institute, Namibia; University of Namibia; University of Hohenheim, Germany; Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel; University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa; Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, California; University of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa; Onderstepoort Veterinary Institute, South Africa.
Co-Organizer of Oral Session: AAAS 2020 Annual Meeting, Seattle, Washington. With Philip Shapira of the University of Manchester, Georgia Tech, and Symbiochem, wrote a successful proposal for a session entitled "The biological engineering revolution: strategies for sustainable scale-up." This session will involve talks, a panel, and moderation from five different experts.
Co-Organizer of Organized Oral Session: Ecological Society of America Annual Meeting, Baltimore, Maryland. With Andrew Dobson and Anieke van Leeuwen of Princeton University, organized a conference session entitled “Parasites in trophic networks: complex life cycles, coinfection dynamics, and community structure” with eight invited speakers.
International Reviewer Panel Member: African Journal of Ecology (2007-Present)
Peer Reviewer for: Journal of Animal Ecology, Evolution, Ecology and Evolution, Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, Parasitology, PLoS ONE, Ecology and Evolution, Conservation Physiology, PeerJ, African Journal of Ecology, and South African Journal of Ecology
- Engineering Biology Research Consortium
- International Society for Infectious Diseases
- Society for Conservation Biology
- The Ecological Society of America
- The Association for Women in Science
- Licensed as a veterinarian in California
- Licensed as a veterinarian in the United Kingdom with the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons
- Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society
- Mpala Research Center Laboratory Coordinator, Kenya (2014-2015)
- Etosha Ecological Institute Laboratory Coordinator, Namibia (2008-2011)
- Zimbabwe Veterinary Association-Wildlife Group Course on Chemical and Physical Restraint of Wild Animals (Certified by ZVA, 2005)
- Rapporteur and Editor for Malilangwe Trust Anthrax Workshop, Zimbabwe (2005)
- Primary thesis advisor for 5 undergraduate Environmental Sciences senior thesis students (2012-2013)
- At-large coadvisor for three PhD students (2009-2010; 2013-present; 2015-present), helping with grant and manuscript editing, dissertation chapter organization, data analysis, lab techniques, and career counseling
- Have mentored (from 2007-present), 15 undergraduate students and recent graduates over several in-person meetings and email sessions, regarding careers in veterinary medicine and human medicine, applying to veterinary school and medical school, using veterinary medicine in ecology and conservation work, and doing ecology graduate research.
- Mentored two Bachelors of Technology (University of Namibia and Polytechnic of Namibia) in field and laboratory techniques (2006 for three months, and 2007-2009 for the other student) and one masters student (University of Namibia) in field and laboratory techniques (2008-2009), and acted as primary research mentor for five undergraduates doing senior honors thesis in environmental sciences (2012-2013).
- Mentored two masters students who were full-time employees at Zymergen while getting their degrees. Helped them navigate the process of aligning their masters research with Zymergen work, helped set up internal mentorship, helped them navigate legal and IP issues, and helped edit theses.